This division is an arm of the University Registry within the University Library. It is responsible for supervising all official communications between the University Community, the Library, and the library staff. Working closely with the University Librarian’s Office, the administrative division also caters for deployment and redeployment of staff within the library and maintenance of official files of all the library staff.
This division is responsible for all processes involved in the systematic building of the library’s collection. The Division assesses users’ needs, evaluates the collection, coordinates the selection of library information resources and acquires them, to meet the information needs of the library users which in turn ensures that the university goals and objectives are met.
All technical activities in the library take place in this division. There are 4 units that make up the Technical Services Division.
- Cataloguing and Classification Unit: Responsible for bibliographically describing and arranging according to subject class all library materials following the technical standards of the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules and the Library of Congress Classification Schemes to make for easy storerage and quick retrieval.
- Book Finishing Unit: This Unit makes all library books ready for the shelves and for use. It undertakes the last stage of books processing. Providing book slips, book pockets and adhesive labels that bear the class marks of the books.
- Filing Unit: This is the Unit in charge of bibliographic search, filing of new catalogue cards, and general maintenance of the card catalogue boxes.
- Bindery Unit: This is where all torn and damaged books go to wear a new/improved look.
- Typing Pool Unit In charge of typing correspondences for the library.
This division acquires, organises and houses all serials/periodical publications in the library – bulletins, dailies (newspapers), journals, magazines, newsletters, etc.
This division deals directly with library users of all categories. It has 3 sections. They are: