- Area of Specialization: Parasitology
- Department of Animal and Environmental Biology
- Research Interest: Studies involving insects and parasite infections on animal and human subjects have been my team’s research interest. The insect aspect is focused on protection techniques against postharvest losses on stored grains in order to improve the quality of grains in granaries available to growers as well as consumers. A number of bioinsecticidal plants have been explored, these include; Alligator pepper (Aframomum melegueta), Pepper fruit (Dennettia tripetala), Pepper (Capsicum spp ) and Wild basil (Ocimum suave).We have adopted the use of these edible and wild plants as protectants against a wide variety of insect pests of grains such as cowpea and maize. Our results so far have shown that active ingredient of plant materials can act as protectant on stored products. We have also carried out studies on the distribution of insect pests in selected field areas.
My research team and I have equally carried out numerous studies on parasites and infections (especially neglected tropical diseases) on animals and humans in numerous areas of Nigeria. These parasitic infections include Schistosomiasis, Ecto-parasitic infections of some birds, Helminthisasis, Eimeria infections, Onchocerciasis, and Malaria infections in neonates, pregnant women, and their effects on cord birth weights. We have identified the vectors associated with these infections as well as their ecological niches. We have also determined the prevalence, epidemiology and status of infection in animals and humans, evaluated the effect of prophylaxis of infections in various locations in Nigeria. We are currently focusing our study on areas in Delta State where no detailed information is known about these parasitic infection and also current status of infections in areas where information have already been established so as to enable us make recommendations. We are also currently involved in studies on the DNA of blood parasites.
Biodata: Andy Ogochukwu Egwunyenga obtained his Ph.D. in Zoology (Parasitology) in 1997 from the University of Jos, Nigeria. He obtained his B.Sc. in Zoology (Second Class Upper Division) from the University of Lagos, Nigeria in 1982 and M.Sc.Applied Entomology and Parasitology (Distinction) from the University of Jos also in Nigeria in 1990. He became a Professor of Parasitology in 2005 and is currently the Vice Chancellor of Delta State University, Abraka, Nigeria. Some of the other numerous positions he has occupied include: Coordinator, Postgraduate Programme, Department of Animal and Environmental Biology (2001-2007; 2012-2016); Chairman, Academic Staff Union of Universities, (ASUU) (2001-2005); Acting Director and Director, Institute of Science Laboratory Technology (ISLT) (2004-2007); Chairman, Ad-hoc Committee on the New Pension Scheme, Constituted by Congregation (2017), Delta State University and Rector/Chief Executive Officer, Delta State Polytechnic, Ogwashi-Uku (2007 - 2011).
In Delta State University, he was the member of Examinations Monitoring Committee, University Admissions Board (UAB); Senate AD-HOC Committee on Eradication of Cultism; Faculty Curriculum Committee, Faculty of Science; Senate ADHOC Committee on External Moderation of Results; Appointments and Promotions Committee; Committee for the Administration and Disbursement of the Car Refurbishing Loan Approved by Delta State Government; Research and Publications Committee; Departmental Board, Department of Animal and Environmental Biology; Faculty Board, Faculty of Science; Representative of Faculty of Science, Senate; Business Editor and Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Science and Environment; A Journal of Faculty of Science and Senior Staff Club Management Committee.
Prof. Egwunyenga has chaired and was member of various committees in Delta State Polytechnic, Ogwashi-Uku. They include: Chairman, Academic Board; Chairman, Congregation; Chairman, Estimates Committee; Member, Tenders Board; Member, Finance and General Purpose Committee (F & GPC); Chairman, Town/Gown Committee; Member, Governing Council and Chairman, Appointments and Promotion’s Committee. He was also Financial Secretary and Member of Council, Nigeria Society for Parasitology. Apart from academic functions, Prof. Egwunyenga has been a pioneer member for distinguished services to the Delta State Government. The services include: Member, Delta State Vision 20:2020; Technical Committee, Representative of Polytechnic in Delta State; Member, Transition Committee, Government of Delta State; Secretary, Human Development Committee; Transition Committee, Government of Delta State; Member, Delta State Advisory and Peace Building Council, Delta State Government; Member, Committee on the Activities of Fulani Herdsmen in Delta State; Delta State Advisory and Peace Building Council and Member, Ad-hoc Committee on the Contention over the Ownership of Enerhen between Udu Local Government Area and Uvwie Local Government Area of Delta State. Delta State Government. He is a renowned and prolific publisher of relevant articles related to Parasitology and Entomology. He has about 50 quality articles in Scopus indexed International, National and local journals. He is a fellow, Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, London, and member of Nigeria Society for Parasitology, Entomological Society of Nigeria, Science Association of Nigeria and Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM).
- 1. Onochie, E.J. and Egwunyenga, O.A. (2019) Malaria in Pregnancy in Ethiope East Local Government Area of Delta State, Nigeria. , Journal of Applied Life Sciences International.
Vol.20(2) Pages: 1-8.
- 2. Odibo, E.O., Egwunyenga, O.A. and Ojianwuna, C.C. (2019) Seasonal Variation of Cockroaches Species in Abraka, Delta State, Nigeria. . Tetfund Supported Journal: A Federal University Wukari. Indexed by Google Scholar. , FUW Trends in Sciences and Technology Journal
http://www.ftstjournal.com/Digital%20Library/41%20Article%2029.php Vol.4(1) Pages: 163-168.
- 3. Egwunyenga, O.A and Ake, J.E. (2019) Antifeedant Potential of Some Aromatic Plants Against Cowpea Weevil, Callosobruchus maculatus. , World Journal of Agriculture and Soil Sciences (WJASS)
https://irispublishers.com/wjass/pdf/WJASS.MS.ID.000546.pdf Vol. Pages:
- 4. Ighere, J.E and Egwunyenga, O.A. (2018) Ecological Niche and Habitat Suitability of the Major Anophele Mosquitoes in Sapele and Environs. , Applied Science Research Journal.
Vol.5(1) Pages: 33-44.
- 5. Lemy, E.E. and Egwunyenga, O.A. (2018) Epidemiological Study on Some Parasitic Helminths of Cattle in Delta North, Delta State, Nigeria. , Journal of Animal Health and Behavioural Science.
https://www.hilarispublisher.com/open-access/epidemiological-study-on-some-parasitic-helminths-of-cattle-in-delta-northdelta-state-nigeria.pdf Vol.2(1) Pages:
- 6. Ito, E. E. & Egwunyenga, O. A. (2017) Soil transmitted helminthisis in Aviara Community: an observation from primary school children in Nigeria. , International Medical Journal.
Vol.24(2) Pages: 205 –208.
- 7. Lemy, E.E. and Egwunyenga, O.A. (2017) Prevalence of Parasite Helminthes from Faecal samples of Cattle at various Abattoirs in Abraka, Delta State, Nigeria. , Journal of Animal Health and Behavioural Science.
https://www.hilarispublisher.com/open-access/prevalence-of-parasitic-helminthes-from-feacal-samples-of-cattle-atvarious-abattoirs-in-abraka-delta-state-nigeria.pdf Vol.1(3) Pages:
- 8. Onojaife, J. O., Egwunyenga, O. A. & Nmor, J. C. (2016) Evaluation of the physico chemical indices of blackflies (Diptera: simuliidae) breeding sites in Delta State, Nigeria: implications for Onchocerciasis control., Journal of Coastal Life Medicine.
Vol.4(11) Pages: 856–860.
- 9. Onojaife, J. O. & Egwunyenga, O. A. (2015) Monitoring of Onchocerciasis in Delta State., International Journal of Tropical Disease & Health.
http://www.sciencedomain.org/download/OTAyN0BAcGY.pdf Vol.8(1) Pages: 40–48.
- 10. Ito, E. E. & Egwunyenga, O. A. (2015) Schistosomiasis: The Aftermath of 2012 floods in Delta State, Southern Nigeria., International Medical Journal
https://www.academia.edu/33812996/Schistosomiasis_The_Aftermath_of_2012_Floods_in_Delta_State_Southern_Nigeria Vol.22(4) Pages: 218–223
- 11. Ito, E. E., Egwunyenga, O. A. & Ake, J.E.G. (2014) Prevalence of malaria and human blood factors among patients in Ethiope East, Delta State, Nigeria. , 3(3): , International Journal of Medicine and biomedical Research
http://ijmbr.com/reviewed/3.3.7.pdf Vol.3(3) Pages: 191–201.
- 12. Nmorsi, O.P.G., Ukwandu, C.N; Egwunyenga, O.A., Alawode, O.P and Anyanwu, L.C. (2008) Riboflavin and Thiamin Status of Nigerian Children with Plamodium Falcuparum Malaria., Tropical Medicine and Health.
Vol.36(2) Pages: 59-64.
- 13. Ukwandu, N. C. D., Nmorsi, O. P. G., Egwunyenga, O. A., Nwoke, E. O. & Alufonai, E. A. (2007) The Effect of hookworm infestation on nutrient intakes among school age children. , Journal of Biomedical Sciences in Africa.
Vol.5(1) Pages: 15- 19
- 14. Nmorsi, O. P. G., Ukwandu, N. C. D. & Egwunyenga, O. A. (2007) Antioxidants status of Nigerian children with Plasmodium falciparum malaria. , African Journal of Microbiology Research.
https://academicjournals.org/journal/AJMR/article-abstract/4B6530110824 Vol.1(5) Pages: 057 – 060.
- 15. Nmorsi, O. P. G., Ukwandu, N. C. D., Isaac, C. Egwunyenga, O. A. & Olague, N. H. (2007) Immunoglobulin profile of some Nigerians with Schistosoma haematobuim infection. , African Journal of Microbiology Research.
Vol.1(7) Pages: 113 – 116.
- 16. Nmorsi, O. P. G., Ukwndu, N. C. D., Egwunyenga, O. A. & Anyanwu, J. (2007) Vitamin A status and ocular lesions in some rural Nigerians with onchoerciasis., African Journal of Biotechnology.
Vol.6(11) Pages: 24 –52.
- 17. Nmorsi, O.P.G, Ukwandu, N.C.D, Egwunyenga, O.A and Obhiemu, N.U (2005) Evaluation of CD4+/CD8+ status and urinary tract infections associated with urinary schistosomiasis among some rural Nigerians. , African Health Sciences.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1831910/ Vol.5(2) Pages: 126 –130.
- 18. Egwunyenga, O.A and Ataikiru, D.P (2005) Soil-transmitted helminthasis among school age children in Ethiope East local Government Area, Delta State, Nigeria., Africa Journal of Biotechnology.
Vol. 4(9) Pages: 938 – 941
- 19. Nmorsi, O.P.G, Egwunyenga, O.A., Ukwandu, N.C.D and Nwokolo, N.Q. (2005) Urinary schistosomiasis in a rural community in Edo State, Nigeria: Eosinophiluria as a diagnostic marker., African Journal of Biotechnology.
https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/6611/1/jb05034.pdf Vol.4(2) Pages: 183 -186.
- 20. Ilondu, E.M, Egwunyenga, O.A. and Iloh, A.C (2005) The effect of Wild basil (Occimum suave Wild, Labiate: Lamiaceae) Leaf dust as Protectant of Cereals Against Rhizopertha dominical Fabricus (Coleoptera: Bostrydae). , Journal of National Academy for Advancement of Science.
Vol.2(1) Pages: 50-55
- 21. Egwunyenga, O.A. and Isamah, G. (2004) Lipid peroxidation and Ascorbic Acid levels in Nigerian children with Acute Falciparum Malaria., International Medical Journal.
https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/6553/1/jb04112.pdf Vol.3(10) Pages: 560-563
- 22. Egwunyenga, O.A and Nmorsi, O.P.G. (2004) Seroprevalence of Congenital Malaria in Delta State, Nigeria. , International Medical Journal.
Vol. 11(2) Pages: 83 – 86
- 23. Nmor, C. and Egwunyenga O.A (2004) Survey of blood parasites among blood donors at Eku, Delta State, Nigeria., The Nigerian Journal of Parasitology.
https://www.ajol.info/index.php/njpar/article/view/37714 Vol.25 Pages: 87 – 92
- 24. Nmor, C, Egwunyenga, O.A and Ake J.E, (2004) Intestinal Parasites of Cichlids of Orogodo River, Agbor, Delta State, Nigeria., Tropical Freshwater Biology.
Vol.12/13 Pages: 131 – 136.
- 25. Nmorsi, O.P.G, Oladokun, I.A.A, Egwunyenga, O.A. and Oseha, E. (2002) Eye lesions and onchocerciabis in a rural farm settlement in Delta State., South East Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health.
Vol.33(1) Pages: 28 – 32.
- 26. Egwunyenga, O.A, Ajaiyi, J.A, Nmorsi, O.P.G and Duhlinska- Popova, D.D. (2001) Plasmodium/intestinal helminth co-infections among pregnant Nigerian women., Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz.
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0074-02762001000800005 Vol.96(8) Pages: 1055 – 1059.
- 27. Nmorsi, O.P.G, Egwunyenga, O.A. and Okholo, O.E (2001) Schistosoma haematobium infections in two rural communities of Edo state, Nigeria. , South East Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/971d/40931486326e21be334fbf587d9fffd3792d.pdf Vol.32(3) Pages: 570 -574.
- 28. Nmorsi, O.P.G, Egwunyenga, O.A and Bajomo D.O. (2001) A survey of Urinary Schistosomiasis and Trochomoniasis in a Rural Community in Edo State, Nigeria. , Acta Medica et biologica.
- 29. Ukwandu, N.C.D, Nmorsi, O.P.G, Elemuwa, C.O., Dioka E.C, Ugbomoilo, U.S and Egwunyenga, O.A. (2001) Biochemical and Immonoglobulin deficiencies with clinical correlations associated with urinary Schistosomiasis. , Nigerian Medical Journal.
Vol.40(2) Pages: 52–57.
- 30. Ukwandu, N.C.D, Nmorsi, O.P.G, Ugbomoiko, U.S and Egwunyenga, O.A. (2000) Relationship between intensity of Urinary schistosomiasis and some haematological indices in Nigerian Children. , Nigerian Quarterly Journal of Hospital Medicine.
Vol.10(4) Pages: 306-309
- 31. Egwunyenga, O.A, Nmorsi, O.P.G and Igbinosun, A.F. (2000) Haematological changes in cichlids of Ethiope River (Niger Delta Nigeria) due to intestinal helminthisasis., Bioscience Research communications.
Vol.12(2) Pages: 239 – 243.
- 32. Nmorsi O.P.G and Egwunyenga, O.A (2000) Gastro-intestinal parasites of some wild mammals in a rainforest belt of Southern Nigeria. , Rivista di Parasitology.
Vol.XVII (LXI) Pages: 225 -229.
- 33. Egwunyenga, O.A., Nmorsi, O.P.G and Alo, E.B. (2000) Repellency of two pepper varieties to cowpea weevil, Callosobruchus maculates., Nigerian Journal of science and Environment.
Vol.2 Pages: 69 -73.
- 34. Nmorsi, O.P.G and Egwunyenga, O.A. (1999) Gastro-intestinal helminthes of three small wild mammals in a rain forest zone of Southern Nigeria. , Journal of Parasitic Diseases.
Vol.23 Pages: 59-60
- 35. Egwunyenga, O.A, Ajaiyi, J.A, Nmorsi, O.P.G and Dibie C.C.D (1998) Effect of maternal sulphadoxine-pyremethamine (Fansider) prophylaxis on the prevalence, clinical profile and outcome of malaria in pregnancy in Eku, Delta state, Nigeria., Nigerian Journal of Science and Environment.
Vol.1 Pages: 15 – 20.
- 36. Nmorsi, O.P.G, Egwunyenga, O.A. and Igiewe, E.K. (1998) Ectoparasistes of some birds in Ekpoma, Nigeria., Nigerian Journal of Science and Environment.
Vol.1 Pages: 65 - 68
- 37. Egwunyenga, O.A. Alo, E.B. and Nmorsi, O.P.G. (1998) Laboratory Evaluation of the Repellency of Denneta tripetala baker (Anonoceae) to Dermestes maculates (F) Coleoptera: Dermestidae). , Journal of Stored Products Research.
Vol.34(2/3) Pages: 185 – 199.
- 38. Egwunyenga, O.A and Nmorsi, O.P.G (1998) Vector Biology and Control. , Pon. Publishers Ltd. Agbor, Delta State, Nigeria.
TEXTBOOK Vol. Pages:
- 39. Ikomi, R.B, Egwunyenga, O.A., Ake, J.E and Dibie, C.C. (1997) Evolution and Origin of Man. In Readings in General Studies: History and Philosophy of Science (Ejechi, B.O. Ed). , Mass Founders Publications Ltd. Onitsha, Nigeria.
CHAPTER IN REFERRED BOOK Vol. Pages: 45–59.
- 40. Egwunyenga. O.A, Ajayi, J.A, Duhliska – Popova, D.D. (1997) Malaria in pregnancy in Nigeria: seasonality and relationship to splenomegaly anaemia. , Indian Journal of Malariology.
Vol.34(1) Pages: 17 – 24
- 41. Akoh, J.I, Egwunyenga, O.A. and Olusi, T.A. Ajaiyi, J.A, Salifu, D.A, Ajaiyi, O.O, Alo E.B, Sandare, A.T., Ikeh E.I, (1997) Epizootiology of Eimeria infections in sheep in Plateau State, Nigeria. , African Journal of Natural Science.
Vol.1(1) Pages: 6-10
- 42. Egwunyenga, O.A., Ajaiyi, J.A. and Duhlinska – Popova, D.D. (1997) Transplacental passage of Plasmodium falciparum and seroevaluation of newborns in Northern Nigeria. , South – East Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public health.
Vol.28(4) Pages: 741 – 745
- 43. Egwunyenga, O.A, Nmorsi, O.P.G and Dibie, C.C. (1997) Repellent effects of Aframemum melagueta K.Schum (Anonaceace) to Callosobruchus maculates (F) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). , Bulletin of Science Association of Nigeria
Vol.21(19) Pages: 163–166.
- 44. Egwunyenga, O.A, Ajaiyi, J.A, Duhlinska – Popova, D.D. and Nmorsi, O.P.G. (1996) Malaria infection of the cord birth weights in Nigerians., The Central African Journal of Medicine.
Vol.42(9) Pages: 265 –268
- 45. Nmorsi, O.P.G, Egwunyenga, O.A. and Igbinoghene, G. (1996) Gastrointestinal helminthes of goats in Ekpoma, Nigeria: Prevalence and ascorbic acid content., Nigerian Annals of Natural Science.
Vol.3 Pages: 97-101
- 46. Nmorsi, O.P.G, Kio, F.E, Anosike, J.C. and Egwunyenga, O.A. (1995) Epidemiology aspects of onchocerciasis in Uhiere, Edo State, Nigeria, Bioscience Research Communications
Vol.72 Pages: 91-94
- 47. Egwunyenga, O.A, Nmorsi, O.P.G and Omokaiye, O.O (1994) Schistosomiasis in Bauchi; Nigeria, The Nigerian Journal of Parasitology
Vol.14 Pages: 35 - 41
- 48. Egwunyenga, O.A and Alo, E.B. (1991) Laboratory evaluation of the toxicity of Capsicum spp and Aframemum melagueta on copea weevil (Callosobruchus maculates)., Nigeria Journal of Agricultural Technology.
Vol. 3 Pages: 48 – 55
- 49. Alo, E.B and Egwunyenga, O.A (1991) Distribution of Cicadulina spp (Hemiptera: Cicadiilucade) in a cornfield: the role of undergrowth grasses, Journal of Technology and Development
Vol.2(1) Pages: 20 - 22