- Area of Specialization: Library Automation, Networking, Ergonomics of IT, Special Librarianship
- Department of Library and Information Science
- ABOUT ME
PROFESSOR STEPHEN OSAHON UWAIFO is a seasoned Academic. He obtained his Ph.D in Library and Information Science (University of Ibadan, 2007), Master of Library Science MLS (Information Science option) (Bayero University, Kano, 1992), Bachelor Degree in Library Science/Sociology (BA.LS/Soc, Second Class Upper Division, Bayero University, Kano, 1990), National Certificate in Education (NCE) (Abraka, 1984). As a student in Bayero University, Kano, he distinguished himself academically. This earned him University Scholarships (three consecutive times). He had his previous appointment at the College of Education, Benin City as a Library staff and eventually became a Librarian. In January 1993, he was employed as Assistant Lecturer in the Department of Library and Information Science, DELSU, where he rose to become a Professor in 2013. He became substantive University Librarian in 2017. Despite his busy schedule, he still assists the Department of Library and Information Science in lecturing and supervising students at Bachelor, M.Sc and Ph.D levels. Since joining the Delta State University, he has held other several posts/positions such as: Head of Department, Library and Information Science (Oct. 2013 – March, 2015); Ag. Head of Department of Library and Information Science ( February 2009 to September, 2013); Member of Senate (February, 2009 to date); Ag. Head of Department of Library and Information Science (May, 2000 to June, 2001); Member of Senate (May, 2000 to June, 2001); Coordinator, Pre-Degree programme, Library and Information Science Unit (2003 – 2005); Member, Curriculum Review Committee, Department of Library and Information Science (1998 to date); Member, Faculty of Education Screening Committee (2007 to 2009); Member, Faculty of Education Examination Monitoring Committee (2008); Member, Accreditation Committee, Department of Library and Information Science (2005 to date); Academic Adviser to Students (1996 to 2009); Chairman, Post Graduate Committee, Department of Library and Information Science (2009 to 2015); Member, Faculty of Education Post Graduate Board (2013 to date); Co-ordinator - M.Sc Industrial Attachment, Department of Library and Information Science (2007 to 2009); Member, Junior Staff Disciplinary Committee, Delta State University (2009 to 2014 and 2017 to date); Vice Chancellor’s Representative, Regularization of Appointment Exercise for Academic Staff, Faculty of Social Sciences, Delta State University, Abraka.(2013-2014); Vice Chancellor’s Representative, 2015 Appraisal Exercise for the status of Senior Librarian and above, Delta State University Library, Abraka; Vice Chancellor’s Representative,2016 Appraisal Exercise for the status of Senior Librarian and above, Delta State University Library, Abraka; Vice Chancellor’s Representative, 2016 Appraisal Exercise for the status of Lecturer 1 and below, Faculty of Engineering, Oleh Campus, Delta State University, Abraka.
Furthermore, Professor Uwaifo has been an External Examiner to several universities in Nigeria such as University of Ibadan, University of Ilorin, Babcock University, Benue State University, etc. He has externally oral examined over 100 M.Sc/MLS dissertations and 25 Ph.D theses from 2011 to date. He has also moderated several research projects and scripts at undergraduate level at some of the universities in Nigeria. Futhermore, he has done several External Assessments for Promotion in universities, polytechnics and colleges of education. Some examples of the institutions are: University of Ibadan, National Open University of Nigeria, University of Jos, Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro, Kogi State Polytechnic, College of Education, Agbor, etc, all ranging from Professorial, Deputy University Librarian, Chief Librarian and College Librarian cadres. In Delta State, he was Examination Marshal/Monitor to WAEC and NECO (2012 to 2014). At the National level, he is Member, Ad-hoc Accreditation Panel, the National University Commission (NUC) (2016 to date). Member, Ad-hoc Resource Verification Panel at the National Universities Commission (NUC) (2018 to date); National Youth Service Corps 3rd August, 1984 to 2nd August, 1985.
Professor Uwaifo has attended several conferences/ workshops in Nigeria and abroad – United States of America. He has supervised eight (8) Ph.D theses while one of them is at Senate Approval Stage and two at external defence stage, etc. He has supervised over thirty five (35) M.Sc dissertations and over three hundred academic projects (i.e, undergraduate students). He has published several scholarly articles (most of which are empirical) in National and International Journals (i.e ten in foreign indexed journals, six (6) of which are in Scopus). He also has some chapters in books as well as co-edited a book. He has some articles lined up for publication, some of which have been accepted by foreign journals.
Professor S.O. Uwaifo’s research interest are: Library Science, Information Science, Library Automation, Egronomic of Information Technology Use, Special Librarianship, Reference Services / Marketing of Library products and Services, Knowledge Management, Entrepreneurship in Library and Information Services, Resource Sharing in Libraries, etc. He belongs to the Nigerian Library Association where he was Assistant Secretary and now a member of the Advisory Council, Delta State Chapter. He is a Chartered/Certified Librarian in Nigeria (CLN), registered by Librarians’ Registration Council of Nigeria. He is happily married with children.
- 1. Adeyinka Tella, Oluwole O Durodolu & Stephen Osahon Uwaifo (2020) Library and Information Science Female Undergraduate Preference for Facebook as Information Sharing Tool, IGI Global Publisher of Timely Knowledge
https://www.igi-global.com/chapter/library-and-information-science-female-undergraduate-preference-for-facebook-as-information-sharing-tool/259446 Vol. Pages: 17
- 2. I. N. Azonobi , S. O. Uwaifo & Adeyinka Tella (2020) Determinants of Postgraduates’ Use of Electronic Information Resources in Federal Universities in Southern Nigeria, International Information & Library Review / Routledge Taylor & Francis
https://doi.org/10.1080/10572317.2020.1783629 Vol. Pages:
- 3. Achugbue, I. E., Uwaifo, S. O., and Igun, S. E. (2015) Librarians’ Knowledge of Information and Communication Technology hardware usage in university libraries in South South and South West, Nigeria, Information and Knowledge Management
iiste.org/journals/index.php/IKM/index Vol.5 (5) Pages: 70-74
- 4. Uwaifo, S. O. and Azonobi, I. N (2014) Factors militating against the use of the internet by postgraduate students, International Journal of Library and Information Science
https://academicjournals.org/journal/IJLIS Vol.6 (2) Pages: 14 – 18
- 5. Uwaifo, S. O (2014) The place of information and records management in visionary university administration. In above the Ivory Tower: A book in Honour of Professor Eric A. Arubayi, edited by P. O. Ikoya. Abraka: DELSU Printing Press
Vol. Pages: 167-179
- 6. Uwaifo, S. O. (2013) Reading in General Studies: Use of English and library (Revised edition), Edited by M. Mowarin and S. O. Uwaifo, Abraka: DELSU Printing Press
Vol. Pages: 223
- 7. Uwaifo, S. O. (2013) Librarians in use of internet by university libraries in the South South Zone, Nigeria, International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research
www.ijatr.org Vol.2 (issues 3) Pages: 290-294
- 8. Uwaifo, S. O. and Eiriemiokhale, K. A (2013) Use of electronic information resources by university lecturers in Edo State, Nigeria, PNLA Quarterly
http://www.pnla.org Vol.77 (2) Winter Pages: 1-10
- 9. Uwaifo, S. O. (2013) Copyright and its implications. In Reading in General Studies: Use of English and Library (Revised Edition), Edited by M. Momarin and S. O. Uwaifo. Abraka: DELSU Printing Press
Vol. Pages: 162-169
- 10. Uwaifo, S. O. (2013) The significance of the library in university education, in Reading in General Studies: Use of English and Library, (Revised Edition), Edited by M. Mowarin and S. O. Uwaifo. Abraka: DELSU Printing Press
Vol. Pages: 132- 138
- 11. Opaleke, J. S. and Uwaifo, S. O. (2012) Relationship between librarians’ background and adopted leadership styles in selected federal university libraries in Nigeria. , Middlebelt Journal of Library and Information Science,
Vol.10 (1), Pages: 224-239.
- 12. Uwaifo, S. O. (2012) Awareness and use of electronic information resources by library and information science students in Delta State University, Abraka, Nigerian Libraries
Vol.145 (2) Pages: 62-74
- 13. Uwaifo, S. O. (2011) Promoting reading culture among students in lower institutions of learning in Delta State, Nigeria: The place of the librarian, Journal of Sociology and Education in Africa
http://nigeria-education.org/journals/journal-sociology-and-education-africa Vol.10 (2) Pages: 16-25
- 14. Uwaifo, S. O. (2011) An assessment of the Information Technology workshop for higher institution lecturers, Nigeria. , The Information Technologist,
Vol.8, (2), Pages: 67 – 74.
- 15. Uwaifo, S. O. (2010) Information and communication technology and library services in society. In Modern Library and Information Science for Information Professionals, edited by E. C. Madu. Ibadan: Text Link Publishers
Vol. Pages: 233-240
- 16. Uwaifo, S. O.and Obuh, A.O. (2010) Gender and use of the web by undergraduate students in universities in Edo and Delta States, Nigeria., Borno Library, Archival and Information Science Journal,
Vol.9 (1), Pages: 34-46.
- 17. Uwaifo, S. O. (2010) ICT application to collection development in a school library. , PeCOP Journal of Research and Practice in African Education,
Vol.2, (1&2), Pages: 19-24.
- 18. Uwaifo, S.O. (2009) Relationship between funding and success of computerization projects in Nigerian university libraries., PeCOP Journal of the Social and Management Sciences,
Vol.3 (1 and 2), Pages: 25-32.
- 19. Uwaifo, S. O. (2009) Computer self-efficacy as predictor of librarians’ perceived ease of use of automated library systems in Nigerian university libraries. , The Information Technologist.
Vol.6(2), Pages: 31-38.
- 20. Uwaifo, S. O. (2009) Predictive effect of academic qualifications on perceived ease of use of computer-based libraries by staff in Nigerian university libraries., Nigerian Libraries,
Vol.42, Pages: 60-71.
- 21. Uwaifo, S. O. (2009) Barriers to the use of information and communication technologies by staff in Nigerian university libraries. Borno Library,, Archival and Information Science Journal,
Vol.8 (2), Pages: 34-54.
- 22. Uwaifo,S.O. and Onyenania, G.O. (2009) Impediments to the use of internet search engines by students in tertiary institutions in Delta State. , State and Society,
Vol.1(2), Pages: 31-44.
- 23. Uwaifo, S.O. (2008) Nigerian library staff and their perceptions of health risks posed by using computer –based systems in university libraries., Program: Electronic Library and Information Systems,
www.emeraldinsight.com/0033-0337.htm Vol.42 (1) Pages: 68-75
- 24. Uwaifo, S.O. (2008) Computer anxiety as predictor of perceived ease of use of automated library systems in Nigerian university libraries, African Journal of Library, Archives and Information Science
http:/www.hwwilson.com/journals Vol.18 (2) Pages: 147-155
- 25. Uwaifo, S.O. (2007) Age and exposure to computers as determinants of attitudes of librarians towards automation in Nigerian universities, Library Review
www.emeraldinsight.com/0024-2535.htm Vol.56 (6) Pages: 495-504
- 26. Uwaifo, S.O. (2007) Predictive effect of gender on perceived ease of use of computer-based libraries. , Journal of Arts, Social Sciences and Education,
Vol.1 (1 and 2), Pages: 31-36.
- 27. Uwaifo, S.O. (2007) Predictive effect of occupational status on perceived ease of use of computer-based libraries by library staff in some Nigerian universities., Information Technologist,
Vol.4 (2), Pages: 18-23
- 28. Uwaifo, S.O. and Omede, G.C. (2006) An assessment of the capacity – building programme on Information and Communication Technology, organised by the Education Tax Fund, Nigeria, Library Hi Tech News
https://www.emerald.com Vol.23 (1) Pages: 22-26
- 29. Uwaifo, S.O. and Kabadi, A.C. (2006) The role of Information Technology in local government administration in Delta State, Nigeria: A case study of Aniocha North and Aniocha South Local Government Areas, Library Hi Tech News
www.emeraldinsight.com/htm Vol.23 (2) Pages: 17-21
- 30. Uwaifo, S.O. (2004) Management use of records in Delta State University, Abraka, Nigeria, Records Management Journal
www.emeraldinsight.com/0956-5698.htm Vol.14 (2) Pages: 85-89
- 31. Uwaifo, S.O. (2000.) Computer technology in library house keeping operations CASTALIA, Ibadan Journal of Multi-cultural/Multi-disciplinary Studies,
Vol.5 (2), Pages: 98-103.
- 32. Uwaifo, S.O. (1995) The state of computer application in Nigerian university libraries, Research in Education
Vol.1 (1), Pages: 133-140